Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Perisimmons (A New Fruit Discovery)

(Picture from FatFree Vegan Kitchen website)

This is a Perisimmon.  Have you seen one before!  I had never seen or heard of one until we got our box from Full Circle Farm last week.  Luckily, our box comes with some great recipes!  It had a recipe for a Festive Fall Fruit Salad.  I made a few changes to work with what we had in the house, but it turned out great!  I think I have a new favorite fruit!  My daughter loved it and had three servings of the fruit salad!

Here is the recipe that came in the box:

Ingredients:
2-3 Perisimmons, peeled, cut into chunks
2 large pears, cut into chunks
1/2 lb of grapes, halved
1 C celeriac (celery root), peeled, shredded
2/3 cup walnuts or peacans, chopped
1 lemon, juiced
2t lemon zest
2T honey
1T red wine vinegar or champagne vinegar
salt

Steps:
In a large bowl combine lemon juice, lemon zest, honey, a pinch of salt and vinegar.  Add perisimmons and pears and toss until coated.  Add grapes and celeriac.  Add more honey or more vinegar.  Cover and refrigerate for one hour.  Remove and stir in walnuts, spoon over a bed of arugula or serve alone.

The front side of the recipe card also makes suggestions of using agave nectar instead of honey, adding celery root, apples, or slices of Satsumas.  It also suggestions adding crushed lavender flowers or mint and minced rosemary.

This is what I did with what I had available:

Ingredients:
2 perisimmons, cut into chuncks (I accidentally over looked the part about peeling them, but they were still okay)
2 pears cut into chunks
2 Satsumas peeled and split into pieces
2t Lemon juice
2T honey
1T red wine vinegar
Salt (I just shook salt shaker a couple of times)

I did end up adding a bit more honey and a bit more red wine vinegar.  I just served it alone as a side to our dinner.  I have leftovers and can't wait for it at lunch tomorrow! 

Here are a couple of recipes I came across as I was researching for this blog post:

Another Great Idea!

And Another

No comments: