Saturday, November 27, 2010

Friday Food Finds, a day late

With the excitement of Thanksgiving and working Black Friday at a popular toy selling chain store, Friday Food Finds got away from me. Well, here it is.

One of the things that doing Weight Watchers has brought me to do, is cook dinner. I try to cook a nice meal at least 5/7 days a week. The problem I run in to is finding foods that my "steak and potato" loving husband will eat. I sneak veggies in like you would for a kid, or make myself a single serving of something. I have been playing around with some different crock pot recipes to find some we both like. I love being able to play with my kids while dinner is cooking. So, Tuesday night I made Barbecue Glazed Turkey Meatloaf in the crock pot. I got the recipe off of the Weight Watchers website. We all thought it was super yummy!!

4 points per serving
Ingredients
1 1/4 pound(s) uncooked ground turkey breast, Skinless
1/3 cup(s) dried bread crumbs, seasoned
1/4 cup(s) low-fat shredded cheddar cheese, shredded
1/4 cup(s) onion(s), minced
1 large egg(s), lightly beaten
1 tsp dried oregano
1/4 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper, freshly ground
2 Tbsp ketchup
2 tsp packed light brown sugar
2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp Heinz Spicy Brown Mustard, or other brand

Instructions
Fold a 24-inch length of foil in half lengthwise. Fit into the bottom and up the sides of a 5–6-quart slow cooker insert.


Put the turkey, bread crumbs, cheese, onion, egg, oregano, salt, and pepper in a medium bowl; mix with hands until well combined. Shape the mixture into a loaf and place on the foil in the slow cooker.


Cover the slow cooker and cook until the meatloaf juices run clear or an instant read thermometer inserted in the center of the meatloaf registers 165°F, 3–4 hours on high or 6–8 hours on low.


Combine the ketchup, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, and mustard in a small bowl. Spoon the mixture over the meatloaf, spreading it smooth. Cover the slow cooker and cook until the glaze is heated through, about 30 minutes longer. With the help of the foil, lift the meatloaf from the slow cooker and transfer to a platter. Discard foil and cut the meatloaf into 6 slices. Yields 1 slice meatloaf per serving.

Notes

We line the slow cooker insert with foil—a little trick to help you lift out the finished meatloaf. And, because foods cooked in a slow cooker tend to look pale, we coat the loaf with a colorful barbecue-sauce glaze.


I planned on cooking it on low for the 6-8 hours, but forgot to turn on the crock pot! I did it on high, checking the temp at 3 hours. It was done! I served it with mashed potatoes and steamed zucchini with sweat onions.

I had enough points to have 2 servings of the meat. It was 7 1/2 points for the 2 servings. The barbecue sauce was so good, that I have the recipe on my fridge! It will go great as a dip with baked chicken fingers or sweat potato fries!

No comments: