Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Getting Past the Guilt Associated with Taking Time to Exercise

I came across this blog today: Getting to 50/50 and a recent post about Guilt: Guilt if I Do, Guilt if I Don't

This blog post hit me like a ton of bricks.  The way guilt plays into my weight loss journey has been identical to what this person is saying.  I feel guilty if I don't workout and exercise, but when I am doing it, I can't help but feel guilty about the time I am taking away from my family.  Of if I try to fit it in at work, I keep thinking "I should be eating at my desk as I work, not walking". 

Over the last year I feel I have finally gotten myself near the end of the guilt rutt.  In 2009 my husband lost his job, we lost our house to a Short Sale, and my father was diagnosed with a blood cancer.  I was stressed, but running made me feel better.  Running or exercising relaxed me.  I realized I was a better wife and mother when I got that time to myself to run or workout.  My husband started to see that too.  Why feel guilty for that, for making me a better person? 

I still have my bouts with guilt, like when I know my husband has also had a long day, but I know I need that walk or jog to survive the week.  Or, when he tells me after the run he was invited out to watch a football game that started an hour ago!  The best part, is my daughter sees me exercising and knows I am out running and almost always asks "how was your run mom?"  Why should I feel guilty for that?

While I feel like I am working through that guilting feeling, I know so well how the author of this post felt when she was working out and guilt was hanging over her head the entire time.  But, please, do not let guilt stop you! Get out there and take the time for yourself, it will make you a happier and better person!  I know it does that for me! 

No comments: