Friday, December 03, 2010

Making Good Choices

Do you always make good choices about what you eat?  Do you regret bad choices?  Do you celebrate good choices? 

I think I can honestly answer YES to the last two questions, but I am afraid I cannot answer yes to the first question.  I mean, let's be realistic, who out there really ALWAYS makes good choices about what they eat. 

I have an example from this week of good choices and one of bad choices.  Except, not in that order! I would say the bad choice caused and somewhat forced the good choice! BUT, I still felt good about the good choice, and yes, I enjoyed the food involved in the bad choice!

Wednesday, after an all day workshop for work I got a great workout in after my husband got home.  I did 20 minutes on the bike (5.5 mi) and 15 minutes on the treadmill (1.2 mi).  I felt great, and figured there was no problem eating four pieces of a small Alfy's Pizza.  Yes, it was at least a small pizza, not a large!  My mistake, not listening to myself.  After two pieces I started feeling somewhat full, and probably should have wrapped up the other two pieces of another time.  I talked myself into eating that third piece.  I was really feeling full at that point.  I sat there for awhile contemplating that fourth piece.  My stomach was telling me I had had enough, but it just looked so good and seemed to be calling out my name (yes, my food talks to me!!).  What do you think I did?  What would you have done?  Of course I ate it, all of it.  The next morning I was kicking myself.

Thursday, I kind of had to make some better choices.  I had put together a dinner for a function at work and ordered these awesome pasta combinations, spaghetti and meatballs, penne and chicken carbonara, and pesto and tortellini.  Thursday morning I made the decision to pack my lunch and dinner and not indulge in those amazing dishes.  I took left overs of the Turkey Sausage, Kale, and White Bean soup I had made for dinner Tuesday night.  I did allow myself a small taste of the tortelline and penne.  Like, one bite of each.  And I avoided the desserts that were calling my name. 

I went home Thursday so proud of myself.  I indulged one day and held back the second day.  No one said this was easy!    

No comments: