Monday, December 20, 2010

Monday Madness

What a weekend!! 

Remember my goal from last Monday, to do better not snacking when I was home with my daughter.  I think I did a pretty VERY good job!

I started the weekend out with a great weigh in on Saturday morning.  The best part of it, my guest blogger and favorite sister reached 30lbs.  That is 30lbs off her body! She is looking great and feeling great.  I am so proud of her!!

The weekend only got better when I fixed what turned out to be a great dish for a family brunch on Sunday.  The recipe came from here: Lightened-up Creme Brulee French Toast

The recipe just sounded so good!  I had been thinking about cooking a breakfast bread pudding in the crockpot that I found on the Weight Watchers website.  But when I saw this French Toast it just seemed perfect.  The brunch was about 45 minutes away and we would be arriving about 40-50 minutes before eating.  Stoves would be full and this recipe did not seem feasible.  The crockpot idea seemed easier.  My awesome and amazing mother talked me through how to do this recipe in the crockpot!  Here are the things I changed, keep in mind I did 1.5 x what the recipe called for:
  • I skipped the brown sugar and water part. 
  • I used French Bread, broke each piece into quarters and did about 3-4 layers.
  • Did all the eggs, etc. the way it called for.  I skipped the rum due to kids being present.  I would love to try it with rum sometime!
  • I cooked it on low for 3ish hours.  It was probably about 3.5 total.  There was a break in the action during the transport.  The edges were crispy before the transport, the transport caused them to get more moist.  I had read on the bread pudding recipe to make sure you cook it on low so you didn't scorch the bread.  
  • I put a little brown sugar on the top right near the end of the cooking.  
  • Rather than putting the cinnamon and powdered sugar on it, I put it on the side, along with syrup, for people to fix it up themselves.
It got rave reviews!! I must say, I was very proud of myself!!  I was a bit concerned about how it would cook with the layers.  My mother was definitely my hero in helping me figure this out! 

My weekend ended with a nice 2.5 mile run in the cold and dark, but it was much needed after a busy weekend! 

No comments: