Thursday, October 28, 2010

What was going on when I wasn't blogging

I decided to write about why I had such a large break in my blogging.  I think I am doing this for myself, but also for those reading.  I hope it shows I am real and weight loss and weight maintenance is not all flowers and rainbows. 

My last blog post was around June 2009.  At that time I was working out hard.  I had reached Level 3 of Shred and was easily running 3 miles.  I was contemplating running my first 5K and considered doing my first Bloomsday in Spokane in 2010.  Shortly after a trip over the Fourth of July I started having pain down my leg.  I came to realize it was being caused by my back.  I did some physical therapy and it improved.  In October it got worse again, finally in December I had an MRI and discovered I had a herniated disc.  My Dr suggested surgery, however, I was not ready to take myself out of work for 4 weeks and at the age of 32 have surgery on my back.  I opted instead for acupuncture and massage.  Things really started to improve.  I also discovered a supplement that helped with joint mobility.  I ended up having an emergency gall bladder surgery and shortly after that my regular physician prescribed more PT.  PT worked again, and this time it has lasted longer. 

You may ask: why couldn't you blog during that?  Well, through all of that I battled with the weight maintenance.  I barely made it to WW meetings once a month to weigh in and within the last few months I was scared of not making goal.  I was embarrassed.  I felt I was failing.  I also felt I had nothing to say and in some ways felt I had lost the weight and no longer needed to attend WW. 

WOW, was I wrong!  I was failing myself and my family by having that mentality.  I need WW and I have truly come to realize I will always need WW.  The meetings hold me accountable.  I cannot get lazy.  I do not have the personality to allow me to be lazy. 

Now, I am back, blogging, and being more cautious.  I am also very slowly getting myself back into the swing of exercising.  I have been walking and recently started running intervals with the walk.

That is where I have been and what has brought me to where I am today.  I went back to find a post about why I started WW to begin with.  I can't find one.  I guess I never really blogged about my motivation in the beginning.  So, I will do that tomorrow! 

No comments: