Wednesday, October 27, 2010

The challenges of traveling for work

I am headed out of town today for a conference in Pasco, WA.  Oh yeah!  Traveling is hard when it comes to weight loss and weight maintenance.  Especially when it is for work and meals at the conference are included in your conference registration, and your bosses are there and you can't really ditch!  Here are some things I have done over the past few years to make traveling easier:
  • I take my shoes and workout clothes.  I have almost always made myself hit the gym at the hotel at least once on my trip.  This trip is no exception, I have them in my bag and ready to be used!
  • I have packed instant oatmeal to allow for a healthier breakfast option.
  • When I have had a fridge in my hotel room I went to the closest grocery store and got breakfast, lunch, and dinner stuff. 
  • I always ask for an egg alternative at the restaurant.
  • I eat only part of the lunch or dinner that is served, and make sure I eat the veggies.  And really, how often are these hotel meals any good??? 
  • I try to drink a lot of water and tea. 
I have had a very good week, even got a walk/run in this evening.  I am hoping to use some of my learned skills and keep myself on track while I am traveling.  I pledge to get into the gym at least once and not eat my complete lunch each day.  Please, hold me to the pledge! I will blog on Saturday about how it goes! 

2 comments:

Jeanine said...

What a great post! I shared your blog with a few friends. I'm packing soon for a work trip next week and this gave me some great ideas!

A difficult part for me is meetings that end up over a meal vs coffee/tea. (both in calories & in quality/taste) And days where I do lots of driving and feel so antsy because I've barely had time to walk a few blocks. Next week will also be challenging because I'm hoping to meet up with friends and catch up over dinner or drinks... but if I'm good during the day then I think its fair to splurge a little!

Jeanine said...

I've never done weight watchers so I don't know much about points - but here's what I have been doing for lunch lately that has been working pretty well: Trader Joe's herb salad mix, Trader Joe's pear vinagrette dressing, red bell pepper, hazelnuts, and ground black pepper. I love salads with nuts (candied pecans, walnuts, almonds would also be delicious). I have also been eating a sliced apple on the side (I love fruit in salads, too - especially pear and dried fruit like cherries or cranberries!). If its easy, some carbs on the side makes me happy (last week I had some leftover Indian naan, for example. another day a coworker gave me half a cookie).